Blog stats

Monday, February 20, 2012

GBBC - Day 4

The final day of this year's Great Backyard Bird Count was gray, overcast, and chilly, not really the most pleasant day to be outside counting birds. As it turned out, we only had one pleasant day in this year's count and that was yesterday. Still, today actually had plenty of birds to offer. I ended the day with twenty-six species, only one less than yesterday, and I had three previously uncounted birds today. That brought my overall total for the weekend to thirty-two.

Today's new species were:

  1. Red-shouldered Hawk
  2. Eastern Bluebird
  3. White-throated Sparrow
Here are a few pictures of birds from today's count.

A pair of House Finches enjoys a late afternoon snack at the front yard feeder.

The male Northern Cardinals are obviously ready for spring. Their bright new feathers almost glowed on this gloomy day.

The smallest and cutest of the sparrow family, the Chipping Sparrow has been an infrequent visitor to my feeders this winter. Yesterday, I was happy to see a flock of a dozen at my front yard feeder. That was the biggest group I had seen here this winter. Today, I only saw two.

I was surprised to see a single White-throated Sparrow in the backyard this afternoon. These pretty little sparrows are not often seen in my yard.

A pair of cute little Downy Woodpeckers flirted around my backyard today. I tried to get a picture of them together but I could only succeed in getting the female to pose. 

It's been a fun and exciting four days in spite of some dreary weather. Tomorrow, I will sum up the weekend and give you the final total species list for my yard for this GBBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment