Blog stats

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Robins, robins everywhere!

I went outside around mid-day today and stopped in my tracks with my mouth hanging open. There were American Robins everywhere in my yard! There must have been more than a hundred of the birds. I noticed there were also a few Red-winged Blackbirds and Brown-headed Cowbirds, but mostly there were just robins, robins everywhere.

I've been seeing a large flock of robins around the neighborhood for a while now, but I had only been having a few in the yard at a time until today. I'm not sure what attracted the birds. Perhaps something to do with the heavy rains we had yesterday. The ground is completely saturated and that may have driven ground-dwelling insects like earthworms to the surface. Whatever it was, they were certainly finding something to consume.

I didn't get to spend much time observing because I had to fix lunch for the family, but I thought that when I do my Project FeederWatch report for this weekend and report the number of robins in my yard, the FeederWatch folks are never going to believe me!

No comments:

Post a Comment