Blog stats

Friday, March 15, 2013

The Ruby-throats arrive!

While working in my backyard today, I saw my first Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the year, an adult male.


Typically, the adult males are the first to arrive in the spring and they seldom hang around for more than a few days. Then they are on the move again, headed farther north to their breeding grounds. Later the females and young birds will arrive and, if we are lucky as we have been in recent years, one of those females will choose to stay with us through the summer and raise her family here.

But, for now, at least one adult male Ruby-throat has arrived, much to the consternation of the adult female Rufous who is still in the yard. There have already been some furious chases today!

The young male Rufous that spent the winter here may have moved on. I haven't actually seen him for a few days now. I would expect the adult female to head northwest soon, also. But there will still be plenty of hummingbird activity in the yard for weeks to come, now that the Ruby-throats are passing through.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm missing the hummers since the 2 Rufous hummingbirds are gone.

    PS Love the new look of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph. I thought the blog needed "freshening."

      Right now I still have both kinds of hummer in the yard, but I don't expect that to last long.

      Delete