Blog stats

Friday, March 1, 2013

Homeboy

My winter visitors may be beginning to abandon my yard (American Goldfinches, Red-breasted Nuthatches), but even when they are all gone, there will be plenty of birds left and plenty of activity to watch.

Right now, for example, the Eastern Bluebirds are nesting - earlier than I ever remember them nesting before.  I checked their nestbox earlier this week and there were five perfect and beautiful blue eggs in it. I'm not sure if the female has started incubating yet, but I think it likely, so in just a few days there will be two very busy parent birds coming and going from the box.

At one of the other bluebird boxes, the Carolina Chickadees are beginning to build their nest. No, they won't be leaving town. Neither will the Northern Cardinals, Mourning Doves ( I saw a pair courting in my yard just this week.), Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Northern Mockingbirds and so many other of our common birds whose presence we tend to take for granted.

Among these is another favorite of mine, the Tufted Titmouse. I took this series of photos of one among the grape vines earlier this week.







Wonderful little bird! How could I ever be bored with them to watch? 

No comments:

Post a Comment