Blog stats

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

FeederWatching - Week #7

Another weekend, another session of watching my bird feeders and my yard to count the birds for Project FeederWatch.

It was another pretty successful weekend, with 21 species counted. I feel that I could have done better and gotten even more species if I had had more time to spend on it. I was limited by the weather. It was cold and dreary. And on Sunday I had family over so bird counting took a back seat. Still, I'm pretty happy with the birds I was able to check off my list.

Red-tailed Hawk - 2
White-winged Dove - 3
Mourning Dove - 1
Rufous Hummingbird - 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1
Downy Woodpecker - 1
Blue Jay - 1 
American Crow - 1
Carolina Chickadee - 2
Tufted Titmouse - 3
Brown-headed Nuthatch - 1
Carolina Wren - 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
Eastern Bluebird - 1
Cedar Waxwing - 2
Orange-crowned Warbler - 1
Pine Warbler - 3
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 2
Northern Cardinal - 4
American Goldfinch - 1
House Sparrow - 23

I was delighted to be able to add the Mourning Dove to my 2013-14 FeederWatch record this week and there was a single male Red-winged Blackbird who flew over the yard while I was watching, but he didn't drop in so I didn't count him. At least, I know now that he's in the neighborhood so maybe he'll come to visit next week.

My most interesting observation this week was that pair of Red-tailed Hawks that circled over my yard for several minutes looking for a meal. They didn't find anything that interested them and finally moved on. And I was very happy to see the Orange-crowned Warbler return this week. He's become a bit of a welcome regular in the yard.

*~*~*~*

And now, before we bid farewell to this old year, let me take a moment to wish you all the best in 2014. Most importantly, may your life list of birds grow and may you never be confused by a bird ID.

HAVE A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment