Blog stats

Friday, November 1, 2013

Up and about...sort of

Still on the mend from the nasty little bugs I've been fighting, I was able to go outside for a few minutes this morning for the first time in a week. (By the way, thanks to those of you who have expressed concern and good wishes. I am slowly improving.)

The first thing I noticed was how eerily quiet it was. I looked toward the bird feeder system in the back corner of the yard and I could see one reason for the quiet. Most of the feeders were empty. I wasn't up to refilling them today but maybe I will be by tomorrow. Or maybe I can inveigle my non-birding husband to do it for me.

From my seat on the patio, I did see my first Northern Cardinal in a week. She was a beautiful sight. I also saw several House Sparrows, a somewhat less welcome sight. There were a few Blue Jays flying around making a ruckus as Blue Jays do. And their bigger cousins, the American Crows were very active today. As were the squirrels.

I sat there for several minutes without seeing a hummingbird and had just about decided they had all moved on when I caught sight of some movement in the shrubbery along the back fence and looked to see a Rufous there. From my distance, I couldn't be entirely sure if it was a male or female, but it was pretty brightly colored and "rufousy," so I think it was a male.

I sat for a while longer, enjoying the feel of the sun and breeze on my face, and then, not wanting to overdo it, I got up to go back inside and stopped instantly when I heard a new voice coming from the back fence shrubbery. I listened for a minute and a smile spread across my face. A Ruby-crowned Kinglet! It's the first one I've heard this fall and it made my day.

I wonder how many other winter visitors have arrived while I've been lazing about on the sheets all week.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you are on the mend. It is amazing how fast the birds go through the food at the feeder. I'm glad your bird watching was so productive. I've seen a couple of Rufous hummingbirds moving through the area. They are so feisty! Take care of yourself:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are on the mend! Our old dear friends like Cardinals and House Sparrows take on a new level of importance when you haven't seen one in a while! Nice to have fresh eyes for them! Hope you feel better each day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear you haven't been well but I'm glad you are feeling better now. This weather is just the thing to make you feel better and want to get out of doors. I hope you soon make a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete