Blog stats

Friday, November 22, 2013

Brrrr!

It's a chilly and drizzly day here. The temperature was 50 degrees F when I got up this morning and it has been falling since. It's presently in the 40s and seems even colder.

I've spent most of the morning in my office/library working at my computer. At one point, I looked out my window to see a female Rufous Hummingbird feeding at the nectar feeder I had hung there. Then she perched on top of the feeder post and I was able to snap a couple of pictures.

 As she ruffled her feathers against the chill, "Brrr!" she seemed to be saying. "Where did yesterday's 75 degrees go?"


Rufous Hummingbirds are well equipped to handle cold weather, even colder than the 40s, so I'm sure she'll be just fine. But I know just how she feels. If I had feathers, I'd be ruffling them, too!

2 comments:

  1. Great photos Dorothy! Looks like you might have a winter lodger. A young rufous is working our feeders and I'm wondering if he's 'our' winter guest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two in my yard at the moment. They've been here for a while so it looks like they are staying.

      Delete