Blog stats

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Rufous alert!

I apologize for this rather bad picture but wanted to show you a glimpse of the latest feathered visitor to my yard. Yes, the Rufous Hummingbirds have definitely arrived!

I had thought that I had one weeks ago but was never able to confirm it to my satisfaction. If it was a Rufous, it was probably just passing through.

But this one has been here for at least two days now and seems to be making himself at home. That twig where he is sitting is located just to the right of my Cape honeysuckle plant which is in glorious bloom at the moment, and it seems to be a favorite perch of his. From there, he can defend the honeysuckle from other hummers.

Cape honeysuckle blossoms are a great source of nectar for hummingbirds.

My challenge in coming days will be to try to get a better picture of the little critter. It won't be easy because he is almost constantly on the move in his battle with the several other hummingbirds visiting my yard at the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment