Blog stats

Sunday, February 17, 2013

GBBC - Day 3

When I first went outside to count birds this morning, I didn't take my camera with me, and thus I did not get to take a picture of the very first Orange-crowned Warbler that I have seen in my yard this winter. Sigh. Oh, well, at least I saw it, so I can include it on my list for the day.

It's not much consolation, but I did later get to record the other two winter warblers in my garden, but that's no real feat since they are ubiquitous around the yard this season.

The Yellow-rumped Warbler enjoys visiting the suet cakes.

The Pine Warbler sometimes feeds on the ground on the seeds that have fallen there from the feeders above.

The Orange-crowned Warbler was one of five "new" species to go on my yard list for the weekend. The others were Red-tailed Hawk, Eastern Phoebe, House Finch, and Black Vulture. That brings my total species count for the yard to 32, but I'm still jonesing after maybe ten more species that I know are around but that have been elusive over the last three days. The Red-breasted Nuthatch, for example. He's been around all winter, but when I really want to see him, he disappears! Where are you, my little friend?

The Eastern Bluebirds have been a lot more cooperative, showing up for me every day of the count. The reason is simple: These birds are already nesting! This is the earliest I've ever known them to nest in my yard. Last year and the year before it was May before they had their first brood. Here, the female of the pair looks out from the nest box they've selected for this year's family.

American Goldfinches are no challenge to photograph. They are everywhere!

And, of course, so are the Northern Cardinals, but I never get tired of them. Here, a male scarfs down a seed he has just shelled.

The young male Rufous Hummingbird is ever-present, also.

Pine Siskins continue to be the most numerous birds in my yard. They show no signs of getting ready to leave yet, but most likely they will be on the move within the next month.

So, one more day to try to add to my total. At least this year we've been blessed with good weather so far - although I could have done without that cold wind today. What will tomorrow bring? Something good, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment