Blog stats

Monday, August 19, 2013

Hummers galore!

The great hummingbird migration of fall 2013 seems to be well under way. The activity in my yard is fast and furious. I'm not sure how many hummers are here just at the moment, but I know there are more than three. There were three - one of them an adult male - chasing each other around in my backyard earlier while I could hear others chittering away as hummingbirds do in the background.

There are plenty of blossoms here for them to sip from, but I'm putting up my sugar water feeders again, too. I had taken all of them in except for one several weeks ago when it appeared that I only had the one adult female in my yard and she wasn't spending much time at the feeders. Now, in order to keep the peace and to make sure that everybody has a table to eat from, it's time to put them out again.

As far as I've been able to tell, so far all my visitors are Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, but it was around the last week in August last year when my first Rufous visitor showed up, so I will be keeping my eyes open for them over the next weeks. I will also be on the lookout for any other more exotic species that might be passing through. It is an exciting time to be a hummingbird watcher!

2 comments:

  1. Aren't they fun to watch? I saw one flitting from bloom to bloom on the Hamelia patens today.

    ReplyDelete