Blog stats

Monday, November 14, 2011

FeederWatch follow-up

As I reported yesterday, my first weekend of FeederWatching was fairly quiet.  First of all, I wasn't able to devote a lot of time to it and, secondly, during the times that I did spend observing, not much was going on in the yard.  But I made my report and then I looked back over my previous years' reports and found that my first weekend of observations was very much in line with all of those years with much the same cast of characters.

This is the eighth season that I have been a FeederWatcher, although that first season, 2004-2005, I didn't get started until later in the year.  During those years, the highest number of species that I have reported for my first observation in November was 14 in 2009.  The lowest was 8 in 2008.  This year I had 12 species on my list.
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk (Krider's)
White-winged Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Northern Cardinal
House Sparrow 
I know there are several other species of birds in the yard.  Just within the last week, for example, I had seen Orange-crowned Warblers, Pine Warblers, and Chipping Sparrows there, but, frustratingly, none of these winter birds nor several other of the permanent resident birds showed up while I was watching.  Maybe next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment