Blog stats

Thursday, October 6, 2011

"The Big Year" is coming to a theater near you!

A little over a year ago on the blog, I reported about a book called The Big Year: A Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession by Mark Obmascik.  It was a book about an obsessed birder's attempt to see as many birds as possible in one year - a "big year" in birding parlance.

I read the book.  It was interesting and funny. I subsequently offered it as a giveaway on the blog and one of my readers claimed it.

At the time, I told you that the book was being made into a movie starring Steve Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson and that it would be released sometime in 2011.  Well, ta da!  That "sometime" is almost here!


The movie will be in theaters a week from tomorrow, on Friday, the 14th.  I assume that some of those theaters will be in the Houston area, and I plan to see the movie.

I don't have any great expectations of "The Big Year."  I don't imagine it will be on the list of Oscar nominees come next spring.  But the three men starring in it are generally reliable performers and it is a fun story, so I think it should be entertaining.

Besides, how often do we get to see a movie about birding?   Especially one starring "A" list movie stars?  It's worth a look, I think.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun. It has a great cast. As I have recently found out...Birdwatching can be addicting:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think and hope it will be a fun movie, Rambling Wren, and you are only too right - birdwatching is highly addictive!

    ReplyDelete